The annual NRN Power List is the definitive list of people setting foodservice trends today and shaping them for tomorrow. See the full list >>
Peggy Cherng, co-founder, co-chair and co-CEO, Panda Restaurant Group Inc.
• Peggy Cherng and her husband, Andrew, opened the first Panda Express location in 1983 in Glendale, Calif. Today, Panda Express is the 24th largest restaurant chain in the U.S., according to NRN Top 200 data, with $3.1 billion in domestic systemwide sales and more than 2,000 locations.
• The Rosemead, Calif.-based chain continues to evolve. New menu and business ideas are developed at its Innovation Kitchen, which debuted in 2014 in Pasadena, Calif. Its fast-casual tea bar concept Panda + Tea was born out of the R&D facility.
• The Cherngs are also looking to grow a number of emerging brands through the Cherng Family Trust Office, which aims to be a “world-class alternative investment platform.” Restaurant brands the trust has backed in recent years include Ippudo, Uncle Tetsu, Just Salad, YakiYan and Pieology Pizzeria.
• Peggy Cherng received a Golden Chain Award from Nation’s Restaurant News in 2015.
• Giving is a core value of the company, Peggy Cherng has said. Panda Cares, the company’s philanthropic arm, which benefits children’s charities and disaster relief efforts, has donated more than $48 million since it was created in 1999.