Ruby Tuesday has introduced a Fit & Trim line of dishes with 700 calories or fewer to the menu at its 884 casual-dining restaurants.
The 16 entrées are denoted with a symbol indicating they are part of the Fit & Trim program, the chain said Tuesday. Each dish's caloric content also is printed on the menu.
“We’re giving our guests more options and making it easier for them to identify healthier choices with the inclusion of the Fit & Trim symbol,” said Sandy Beall, founder and chief executive of the Maryville, Tenn.-based Ruby Tuesday. “We’ve added new selections while keeping our focus on fresh ingredients and bold flavors.
Fit & Trim items feature a line of petite lunch salads that include grilled chicken, Creole shrimp, Carolina chicken or grilled salmon. The salads are priced between $6.99 and $9.99 and range from 248 to 436 calories.
Other Fit & Trim items include:
- A 7-ounce petite sirloin, $11.99, with 561 calories
- A 9-ounce top sirloin, $13.99, with 651 calories
- Chicken Bella, a grilled chicken breast served with sautéed baby portabella mushrooms and artichokes in Parmesan cream sauce. It’s priced at $12.99 and contains 657 calories.
- Chicken Fresco, grilled chicken served with vine-ripened tomatoes, lemon butter sauce and balsamic vinaigrette. It’s priced at $11.99 and contains 670 calories.
- Vegetarian Pasta Marinara, made linguini tossed in red pepper marinara and topped with Parmesan cheese. The dish is priced at $9.99 and has 487 calories.
Ruby Tuesday also has designated some side dishes as Fit & Trim, including white cheddar mashed potatoes, 169 calories; steamed broccoli, 91 calories; grilled asparagus, 123 calories; creamy mashed cauliflower, 136 calories; grilled green beans, 121 calories; and sugar snap peas, 113 calories. Each side is priced at $2.69.
Kimberly Grant, the chain’s executive vice president, said customers can choose which side dishes to pair with their entrées.
Ruby Tuesday joins other chains in adding lower-calorie menu items, including Applebee's Grill & Bar, which introduced a line of entrées with fewer than 550 calories late last year.
The Fit & Trim menu is part of Ruby Tuesday’s ongoing effort to reinvent its brand. The reimaging effort, which began in 2005, has included a focus on fresher food, improved service, a systemwide redesign and new menu offerings.
Contact Elissa Elan at [email protected].