Del Taco Restaurants Inc. is introducing a “20 Under $2” value menu, the company said Wednesday.
As many quick-service brands have phased out dollar menus, Lake Forest, Calif.-based Del Taco said it was offering the segment’s largest variety of options, ranging from guacamole and snacks to beverages at the $2 price point.
“While other brands are getting rid of their value menus, we are expanding ours to bring our guests a wider variety of items and flavors including our Crispy Chicken Tacos and Chicken Tacos Del Carbon packed with or without our fresh house-made guacamole,” said Tim Hackbardt, Del Taco’s chief marketing officer, in a statement.
“We know our guests are concerned about rising gasoline prices and overall inflation, and that’s why we think this is the right menu at the right time,” Hackbardt said. “The Del Taco 20 Under $2 Menu has variety, freshness, flavor and quality at affordable prices you can’t find anywhere else.”
The value menu announcement comes amid the Mexican quick-service chain’s buyout process. San Diego, Calif.-based Jack in the Box Inc. in early December said it would acquire Del Taco in a share transaction valued at about $575 million.
The value menu introduces some new items, including:
- Chicken Taco Del Carbon Guac’d Up: A classic chicken street taco with guacamole in a soft corn tortilla.
- Chipotle Crispy Chicken Taco: the popular Crispy Chicken Taco with chipotle sauce.
- Crispy Chicken Tacos Guac’d Up: Crispy Chicken Tacos available in ranch, chipotle or habanero varieties and guacamole. Snack Queso Quesadilla: A snack-sized quesadilla made with Queso Blanco and shredded cheddar cheese folded inside a flour tortilla.
- Strawberry Sprite: A combination of real strawberries and Sprite.
- Mini Shakes: smaller portions of Del Taco’s hand-blended shakes in a choice of classic vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.
In addition to the new value menu, Del Taco is also launching other new items that include Stuffed Quesadilla Breakfast Tacos and two new mint shakes.
Del Taco, founded in 1964, has about 600 restaurants in 16 states.
Contact Ron Ruggless at [email protected]
Follow him on Twitter: @RonRuggless