Sponsored by Mondelēz International
Institute of Culinary Education Los Angeles
A simpler, less labor-intensive version of an elegant and flavorful dessert classic.
Serving Size: 1 serving or approximately 250 grams
25 grams cornstarch
245 grams milk
57 grams sugar
25 grams whole eggs
35 grams egg yolks
27 grams butter
3 grams vanilla
20 RITZ Crackers (15 whole crackers and 5 pieces crushed)
White chocolate - 250grams (tempered)
Semi-sweet chocolate - 50 grams (temped)- (just piped it on top)
Raspberry Jam - 100grams (filled every layer)
1. First prepare the pastry cream. Dissolve cornstarch in approximately one-eighth of the milk.
2. Combine the remaining milk with sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
3. Whisk whole eggs then yolks into milk and cornstarch mixture.
4. Pour one-third of the boiling milk into the egg and cornstarch mixture, and whisk. Return the remaining milk mixture to a boil.
5. Whisk the egg mixture into the boiling milk. Whisk until the pastry cream returns to a boil and thickens. Whisk for about one minute.
6. Remove from heat, and beat in the butter and vanilla.
7. Pour the pastry cream into a stainless steel pan. Press plastic wrap directly on the surface, and poke holes to vent. Chill immediately.
8. To form the mille-feuille, place first strip of RITZ crackers (5 pieces). Spread each cracker with raspberry jam, and pipe pastry cream on top.
9. Place second strip of RITZ crackers (5 pieces) on top of the of the first strip. Top with raspberry jam, and pipe pastry cream on top.
10. Place third strip of RITZ crackers (5 pieces) on top of the of the second strip. Cover top of pastry with melted white chocolate and finish with melted semi-sweet chocolate.
11. Spread/sprinkle crushed RITZ crackers around the side of the RITZ mille-feuille to prevent pastry cream or white chocolate from flowing out.