Sponsored by Mondelēz International
Wine & Food Pairing Catering
Description: Handy size calzone, easy to make and serve. Offering as a sandwich substitution, so good for lunch, snack or bar menu.
Servings: 12 (1 piece per serving)
3 cups bread flour
1 cup water for dough
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons dry yeast
3 tablespoons water for yeast
13.7 oz. (1 box) RITZ CRACKERS (Everything crushed coarsely)
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
6 ounces pizza sauce
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon hot chili pepper
6 oz Italian salami or pepperoni
2 tablespoons olives, sliced
12 ounces mozzarella cheese
6 ounces cheddar cheese
12 fresh basil leaves
1 quart vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let it settle until it becomes creamy (about 10 minutes).
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast/sugar mixture, olive oil, and flour. Knead together until it is well mixed, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead dough again for 3 minutes. Cut into 12 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place them on a heavily floured tray, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for calzone.) until almost tripled in size.
- To make the calzone, place each dough ball on a separate heavily floured surface and use your palm and fingers to stretch it approximately to 5 inches in diameter, half inch thickness.
- Mix Italian seasoning and chili pepper into pizza sauce, spread on dough, then top with salami, olives, both cheese and basil leaves.
- Beat egg, then brush onto rim of the dough, fold in half to make half-moon shape. Pinch the rim to close. Fold over the rim slightly and pinch again to close dough completely.
- Brush egg on dough, then add crushed cracker crumbs to all surface area. Do so gently to maintain half-moon shape and fluffiness.
- Prepare deep fry oil in deep pot on medium heat 325 F, deep fry until golden brown (about 5 minutes). Flip it over, then repeat until golden brown.
- Remove from deep fry oil and rest on paper towel to remove excess oil. Then it is ready to serve.