NEW YORK Esquire magazine has named The Bazaar in Los Angeles the “Restaurant of the Year” in food writer John Mariani’s annual list of best new restaurants.
Mariani described the restaurant as chef-owner Jose Andres’ “masterpiece.”
Esquire named Barton Seaver of Blue Ridge in Washington, D.C., as “Chef of the Year.” Kaitlin Yelle of Meat Market in Miami was named “Hostess of the Year.”
Mariani also picked four “breakout chefs to watch.” They are David Katz of Meme in Philadelphia, Chris Lusk of CafŽ Adelaide in New Orleans, Victoria Ann Moore of The Lazy Goat in Greenville, S.C., and Raymond Mohan of Onda in New York City.
- Area 31 in Miami
- Bottega in Yountville, Calif.
- The Bedford Post Inn in Bedford, N.Y.
- Corton in New York City
- L’Albatros Brasserie & Bar in Cleveland
- The newly refurbished Lemaire in Richmond, Va.
- Locanda Verde in New York City
- Marea in New York City
- Nopalito in San Francisco
- Paces 88 in Atlanta
- Pacci Ristorante in Atlanta
- Perla’s Seafood and Oyster Bar in Austin, Texas
- Prado in Paradise Valley, Ariz.
- Rivera in Los Angeles
- Sea Salt in Naples, Fla.
- SHO Shaun Hergatt in New York City
- Society Cafe Encore in Las Vegas
- Sra. Martinez in Miami
Esquire this year also started a restaurant hall of fame, and named New York restaurateurs Alfred Portale of Gotham Bar & Grill and Danny Meyer of Union Square Hospitality Group as the inaugural inductees.