The frozen yogurt chain Pinkberry is testing breakfast.
Instead of its signature frozen yogurt, test locations are offering coffee and unfrozen Greek yogurt, which can be topped with a variety of fruit, granola or natural sweeteners, like fruit purees, infused honey or agave nectar.
Pinkberry joins a growing number of frozen yogurt chains that are adding Greek yogurt to their menus, responding to the growing popularity of the higher-protein product as a meal replacement. TCBY, 16 Handles, and Ben and Jerry’s have introduced new frozen Greek yogurt flavors this summer, but generally as a later-daypart snack. Pinkberry may be the first to target breakfast.
• Pinkberry makes first move into India
• Pinkberry sets sights overseas
• More restaurant industry food and beverage news
“People are increasingly adopting Greek yogurt into their morning routine,” said Ron Graves, Pinkberry’s chief executive. “As a yogurt retailer, we saw the opportunity to redefine the Greek yogurt experience with our exceptionally fresh and high quality toppings to offer a fresh, healthy breakfast.”
For the test, select units in Los Angeles, Boston and Washington, D.C., will open at 8 a.m.
Signature offerings will include:
• Chocolate Berry, featuring Greek yogurt topped with blueberries, raspberries, chocolate granola, honey and shaved milk chocolate
• Strawberry, with toppings that include freshly cut strawberries, mangos, sliced almonds, shaved coconut and strawberry puree
• Cucumber, a savory option, with toppings such as freshly cut cucumbers, sesame nuggets, diced red and yellow peppers, a drizzle of honey and a touch of chili powder
The Greek yogurt will be available in four-ounce and six-ounce sizes.
A six-ounce serving contains 18 grams of protein, as well as live and active cultures. The yogurt has no fat and is low in sugar.
The coffee Pinkberry will serve is a proprietary medium-roast blend that pairs well with yogurt, company officials said.
Based in Los Angeles, Pinkberry operates and franchises about 195 locations worldwide.
Contact Lisa Jennings at [email protected].
Follow her on Twitter: @livetodineout