American Dairy Queen Corp. is rolling out several lines of sweet and savory menu items prepared using new ovens that are being introduced across the franchisor’s various brands.
Included in the new DQ Bakes! platform are three Snack Melts priced around $1.79-$1.99, three Artisan-Style Oven Fresh Sandwiches, priced around $3.59-$3.99, and three Hot Desserts à la Mode, priced around $3.89-$4.09.
The items were made available to franchisees in March, and will be rolled out over the course of the summer, said Eric Grunfeld, ADQ regional marketing manager for the Northeast. A three-month television marketing campaign will begin in September, he said, adding that new items for the three platforms were currently in development.
The ovens have been installed in about 85 percent of the system’s “food restaurants,” Grunfeld said, including DQ Grill & Chill, DQ Brazier and DQ Restaurant concepts. The ovens are also required at dessert-only units, he said, and cost around $5,000, plus installation fees.
Barry Westrum, ADQ executive vice president of marketing, said in a press release: “The artisan-style sandwiches, Snack Melts and hot desserts give us a tremendous competitive advantage. We are turning the quick-service restaurant industry upside down with the addition of new and different food and treat menu items that will redefine the category.”
The new Snack Melts are:
• Buffalo Chicken: A flour tortilla filled with grilled chicken, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing and Cheddar cheese, toasted in the oven;
• Chicken Bacon BBQ: A flour tortilla filled with grilled chicken, barbecue sauce, hickory smoked bacon and Cheddar cheese, toasted in the oven; and
• Chicken Quesadilla: A flour tortilla filled with grilled chicken, tomatoes, onions, California black olives, Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese, toasted in the oven.
The Artisan-Style Oven Fresh Sandwiches, which each have 630 calories or fewer, are:
• Chicken Bacon Ranch: Grilled marinated chicken breast, aged Swiss cheese, hickory smoked bacon, ranch dressing, tomato and chopped lettuce on a ciabatta roll, served hot from the oven;
• Chicken Mozzarella: Batter-fried chicken strips, mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce, served hot from the oven on a basil cheese focaccia roll; and
• Turkey BLT: Oven-roasted turkey, aged Swiss cheese and hickory smoked bacon topped with mayonnaise, tomato and chopped lettuce, served hot out of the oven on a ciabatta roll.
The Hot Desserts à la Mode, each served with a side of vanilla soft serve, are:
• Triple Chocolate Brownie: A warm chocolate brownie made with a blend of milk, semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolates, topped with chocolate sauce and chocolate chunks;
• Apple Tart: Flaky dessert crust topped with Granny Smith apples, rolled oats, butter and brown sugar, drizzled with caramel; and
• Fudge Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie: A warm chocolate chip cookie with a gooey fudge center.
As of the end of 2014, Dairy Queen had 4,446 restaurants across the country.