Zoe’s Kitchen Inc. has partnered with American Airlines to introduced new main cabin food-for-purchase items on flights of more than three hours, the companies announced Monday.
The new items will be introduced Dec. 1 on domestic flights.
“We are excited to elevate the in-flight dining experience and deliver goodness to millions of customers by offering our chef-inspired menu items, in a fresh, new way,” Kevin Miles, president and CEO of Plano, Texas-based Zoe’s Kitchen Inc., said in a statement.
The new offerings were designed in collaboration with Antonio Iocchi, Zoe’s head chef and vice president of culinary innovation, and will include such items as the brand’s signature hummus and The Grüben sandwich.
“Our customers have asked for lighter tasty food choices,” said Janelle Anderson, vice president of global marketing for Fort Worth, Texas-based American Airlines. “This collaboration with the expert chefs at Zoe’s provides an innovative, fresh approach to onboard offerings.”
The new in-flight items include:
- Breakfast Sandwich: turkey bacon, sliced hard-boiled egg and tomato topped with baby arugula on a waffle brioche bun with Calabrian pepper aioli. Priced at $8.79.
- Continental Breakfast Box: Belgian waffle, hazelnut spread and fresh berries. Priced at $8.99.
- The Grüben: The Zoës Kitchen brand’s signature sandwich with sliced turkey, Manchego cheese, Mediterranean slaw and feta spread layered on marbled wheat bread, served with a chocolate chip cookie. Priced at $10.99.
- Chicken Wrap: Grilled chicken wrap with mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, arugula and artichokes, served with a chocolate chip cookie. Priced at $10.99.
- Hummus Duo: The chain’s signature hummus duo, including the classic flavor topped with Kalamata olives and basil pesto hummus, served with pita bread, cucumber and carrots. Priced at $9.99.
American said it will continue to offer its signature fruit and cheese plate and breakfast platter. Throughout 2019, American and Zoe’s will continue to collaborate and introduce additional items, including some for the first-class cabin.
On Aug. 17, Washington, D.C.-based Cava Group Inc. agreed to acquire the 260-unit Zoe’s in a deal valued at about $300 million.
Cava, a privately held company with 66 restaurants, agreed to acquire Zoe’s, a public company with about 260 restaurants, for $12.75 a share. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
The combined company would have more than 325 restaurants in 24 states.
Contact Ron Ruggless at [email protected]
Follow him on Twitter: @RonRuggless