Kimbal Musk, entrepreneur, restaurateur and philanthropist, will be a keynote speaker at Nation’s Restaurant News’ MUFSO conference in Dallas, Oct. 1-3.
"Kimbal Musk has noble goals of sharing scratch-made food with the masses — and he isn’t a purist chef; he’s a seasoned businessman who sits on the board of Chipotle, Tesla, and SpaceX,” said Jenna Telesca, editor-in-chief, Nation’s Restaurant News.
“I look forward to hearing about how he is scaling his sustainable business model across the country.”
Here are five things to know about Musk.
1. He defines “real food” as meeting three criteria — scratch-made food that nourishes the body, the farmer and the planet. He wants to bring “real food” across the US.
2. Musk is a multi-concept restaurateur. He is co-founder of The Kitchen full-service restaurant concept and Hedge Row, a bistro featuring food from a wood fired oven.
3. He refers to his Next Door restaurant concept as “urban casual” and plans to build it to 50 units by 2020.
4. Musk has been working on urban vertical farm incubator Square Roots. Based in Brooklyn, it houses farm startups in shipping containers.
5. Big Green, Musk’s non-profit organization, builds permanent, outdoor Learning Garden classrooms in hundreds of underserved schools across America, reaching over 250,000 students every day.
To come to MUFSO and hear Kimbal Musk speak, register at www.mufso.com.
(An annual NRN magazine subscription is included with every MUFSO registration.)