Food & Wine magazine has expanded its “Best New Chefs” franchise with the addition of pastry chefs.
The magazine’s first roster of winners, selected by its editors, are:
• Shawn Gawle of Corton in New York City
• Bryce Caron of Blackbird in Chicago
• Laura Sawicki of La Condesa in Austin, Texas
• Stella Parks of Table 310 in Lexington, Ky.
• Devin McDavid of Quince and Cotogna in San Francisco
The magazine also named Chris Ford of Wit & Wisdom in Baltimore the People’s Best New Pastry Chef award, following an online poll.
The award, similar to Food & Wine’s Best New Chefs awards, is open to professionals who have run a restaurant pastry kitchen for five years or less.
Those awards have helped bring fame to a wide array of chefs whose names are now household words among food enthusiasts.
Past winners include Rick Bayless, Thomas Keller, Daniel Boulud, David Bouley, Nobu Matsuhisa, Todd English, Tom Colicchio, Grant Achatz and David Chang.
Contact Bret Thorn at [email protected].
Follow him on Twitter: @foodwriterdiary