DENVER Quiznos is looking to strengthen its value message with the rollout of a line of $4 foot-long sandwiches called Toasty Torpedoes.
The new sandwich line, available at participating restaurants, is an extension of Quiznos' move in January  to provide more value to consumers by offering 20 sandwiches for less than $5, said Rebecca Steinfort, chief marketing officer for Quiznos.
“We realize that almost everyone is feeling the pinch in today’s economy,” Steinfort said. “An important way that Quiznos can help ease that stress is by offering people terrific value without sacrificing quality and taste.”
The new $4 sandwiches also come as Quiznos' chief rival, Subway, is heavily promoting its popular $5 foot-long sub deal.
The Toasty Torpedoes, inspired by the baguette sandwiches that are popular in Europe, are prepared on slender, foot-long ciabatta bread and served in paper sleeves to make them easier to eat.
The Torpedoes are available in five varieties:
- Italian: pepperoni, spicy capicola, ham, mozzarella cheese and red wine vinaigrette
- Big Kahuna Tuna: tuna salad, cheddar cheese, sliced banana peppers
- Pesto Turkey: thinly sliced, oven-roasted turkey, red wine vinaigrette, mozzarella cheese and basil pesto
- Turkey Club: thinly sliced oven-roasted turkey, bacon, red wine vinaigrette and mozzarella cheese
- Beef, Bacon & Cheddar: thinly sliced roast beef, bacon, mayonnaise, cheddar cheese and mustard
Quiznos is promoting the new sandwiches with TV spots and a microsite, http://www.toastytorpedo.com , where users can access a coupon good for a free Toasty Torpedo with the purchase of a Toasty Torpedo combo meal. The site also features a contest in which participants can register to win a home entertainment package and free Torpedoes for a year.
Denver-based Quiznos has more than 4,500 franchised locations worldwide.