Food & Wine magazine released on Monday its annual list of the Best New Chefs in America.
The list includes two chefs from Los Angeles, as well as chefs from other cities that are well known for their excellent restaurants. For the most part, the list shied away from emerging culinary locales.
New York, Chicago, San Francisco and New Orleans also have winners on the potentially career-boosting list, now in its 29th year.
“This year's list took restaurant editor Jordana Rothman and a seasoned team of always-hungry editors and reporters from coast to coast, north to south,” according to an announcement posted on Monday, on the magazine’s website.
The winners will be featured in the magazine’s July issue.
Past honorees have included now-famous chefs such as New York-based Daniel Boulud, Tom Colicchio and David Chang, as well as Los Angeles-based Nancy Silverton.
Here is the full 2017 roster:
- Jay Blackinton, Hogstone’s Wood Oven, Orcas Island, Wash.
- Val Cantu, Californios, San Francisco
- Peter Cho, Han Oak, Portland, Ore.
- Nina Compton, Compère Lapin, New Orleans
- Diego Galicia and Rico Torres, Mixtli, San Antonio, Texas
- Jordan Kahn, Destroyer, Los Angeles
- Sara Kramer and Sarah Hymanson, Kismet, Los Angeles
- Angie Mar, The Beatrice Inn, New York City
- Yoshi Okai, Otoko, Austin, Texas
- Noah Sandoval, Oriole, Chicago
Contact Bret Thorn at [email protected]
Follow him on Twitter: @foodwriterdiary